Sunday, August 12, 2012

The Fencing Response

A missing mouth.
Missing momentum.
A phantom frontal lobe.
Cracked teeth.
Exposed nerves,
Dangling loosely,
Bathing in blood,
Spurting out of
An open gash
On my tongue. 
"I bit it on the way down."
"You were out before then."
She said.
Elbow to the jaw
Brain matter crashing into skull
The SMACK transmitted through 
Sound waves bouncing off the
Garage walls and neighboring houses.
Blood.
Twisted pupils and irises.
Bulbs of orange light suspended
In air.
The fall.
Pavement.
Another SMACK.
More blood.
Pooling.
Forming a puddle
In a depression on the driveway.
Resembling chocolate syrup mixed
With tar from a collapsed lung.
Unconscious.
Breathing.
Spine tense,
Before gradually slipping
Into a supine position.
Sensory receptors congealed with stress.
Arms stiff,
Rising towards the sky,
Unnaturally.
Inert from the forearm shiver.
"I'm sorry, it was an accident." 
She said.
I shrugged my shoulders,
"Don't worry, I can't remember what happened anyway."
She turned away
In the direction of the orange glow
Emanating from the street lights,
Igniting the end of a cigarette with a plastic torch.
Smoke dispersing into the hot, languid air.
"Someone got a video of it on their phone,
And posted it online. It has over 15,000 views already."
"Fuck." I said
Before curling into the fetal position
And resting my head in the center her lap. 
Her delicate fingers were skimming 
Through strands of hair.
Massaging the scalp in circular motions,
My arms went up; 
I pretended to be unconscious.


2 comments: