Saturday, July 14, 2012

Scabs

And my back is scarred.
Picking scabs with long fingernails.
Picking scabs and finger-painting what loneliness would look like on the surface of Mars on a piece of looseleaf.
Picking scabs and sleeping in a haunted house that isn’t really haunted.
Picking scabs and stapling rejection letters to my face so people don’t assume I’m a failure.
Picking scabs and branding my forearm with a hot iron rod at work, thinking: This will last forever.
Picking scabs because I watched my father do it when I was a kid.
Picking scabs.
And my back is scarred.
Forming new scars like islands emerging from the depths of the Pacific.
I take my shirt off and twist my upper half so I can see red and white spots.
I imagine them all fusing together into one wound.
And my back is scarred.
Self-conscious.
I write, HELP ME with a black sharpie across my stomach and never take my shirt off for anyone ever again.

No comments:

Post a Comment